Adult Complete Beginner Group Course
I decided to take a few classes with Mark in order to play chess with my young grandchildren. Mark’s encouragement, enthusiasm, positivity and engagement has inspired me to play in Mark’s tournaments, eventually beat my 4 year old grandson and to continue with his classes.Maura, 70+ retired scientist, Dublin
ENROL NOW! for next term commencing 6th January 2021
Every Wednesday evening for 10 weeks starting
6th January 2021 from 7 – 8.30pm
- The Wednesday course is a ten week online course for COMPLETE BEGINNERS who understand the general idea of chess and how the pieces move and but have not as yet played much chess or studied the game in any great depth.
- The group meets once a week for 90 minutes.
- The Online class is conducted using Zoom.
- Each session includes a lesson on a specific theme contained in a contemporary or classic game and tactical puzzles that illustrate that theme. We will also be looking at the essential endgames you need to know when starting out in chess.
- Every Sunday evening I will host a dedicated beginners online tournament for participants from all of my beginners courses. The Chess Bud weekly Beginners Tournament is free to enter and takes place on chess.com every Sunday evening between 7.30 and 9pm commencing Sunday 10th January 2021
- Games from the weekly tournament are often incorporated into the weekly lessons.
- After each class, I will post a video of the key points from that week’s lesson so students can go over the lesson between classes. These recordings will be available in the Chess Bud Online library which is only accessible to Chess Bud students.
- Students will have access to the Chess Bud Library for five weeks following the conclusion of the course.
- My hope is that at the end of the COMPLETE BEGINNERS ten week course you will have a good understanding of the fundamentals of chess and how to set about creating mating attacks against your opponents. You will also have a basic opening repertoire to launch yourself into the online sphere.
- Should you subsequently enrol in the EXPERIENCED BEGINNERS for another ten weeks, you will be equipped with a complete classical opening repertoire ( 1.e4 e5 ; 1) d4 d5) and the confidence and knowledge required to continue investigating the game further by yourself.
- Click here to see Mark’s teaching style.