Autumn Course 2021 commences Wednesday 6th October – ENROL NOW!
Mark’s encouragement, enthusiasm, positivity and engagement has inspired me to play in Mark’s tournaments, eventually beat my 4 year old grandson and to continue with his classes.Maura, retired scientist, Dublin
- A ten week online course for COMPLETE BEGINNERS who understand the general idea of chess and how the pieces move but have not as yet played much chess or studied the game in any great depth.
- The group meets once a week on a Wednesday Evening for 90 minutes from 7-8.30pm Irish time (GMT) commencing 6th October 2021
- The Online class is conducted using Zoom.
- On enrolling in the course you will be issued with your own personalised login to the Coaching Portal on the Chess Bud website (www.chessbud.ie) This log-in will remain active for as long as you are a Chess Bud student.
- Your personalised login will enable you to attend classes, play friendly games with other class members during and outside of class times, complete tactical challenges, quizzes and puzzles between classes, take part in simultaneous matches against IM Mark Quinn and review materials covered in class in your own time to re-enforce lessons.
- Each session is part of a specific curriculum designed by Mark to help you gain a thorough grounding in the fundamentals of the game.
- Arm yourself with a classical opening repertoire for white and black based on King’s Pawn Openings and learn how to defend against dangerous attacking lines such as Scholar’s Mate, The Danish Gambit, the Centre Game, the King’s Gambit and more…
- You will be introduced to all the important tactical ideas such as pins, forks, skewers etc. and be given exercises between classes to fine-tune and heighten your tactical awareness.
- By the end of the course, you will have learnt all the essential endgames you need to start winning your first games of chess; King and Queen versus King, King and Two rooks versus King; King and Rook versus King, King and Two Bishops versus King etc. You will also be introduced to key pawn endgame concepts such as ‘The Opposition’ and learn how to win or defend King and Pawn versus King endings.
- Every Sunday evening for the duration of the term, Chess Bud hosts a private dedicated beginners online tournament for current and former Chess Bud students. The Chess Bud weekly ‘Beginners Bash ‘Tournament is free to enter and takes place on chess.com every Sunday evening between 7.30 and 9pm.
- Games from the weekly tournament are analysed in class and incorporated into the weekly puzzles and quizzes.
- My hope is that at the end of the COMPLETE BEGINNERS course you will have a good understanding of the fundamentals of chess and how to set about creating mating attacks against your opponents. You will also have a dynamic opening repertoire to launch yourself into the online sphere and over-the-board tournaments.
- Should you subsequently enrol in the EXPERIENCED BEGINNERS in 2022 you will then be equipped with a complete classical King’s Pawn opening repertoire ( 1.e4 e5 ) for white and black and the confidence and knowledge required to become a strong player.
- Click here to see Mark’s teaching style.
- Learn the basics before the course begins with the Chess Bud Essentials Showreel – See below!
Always wanted to play chess but didn’t know where to start?
Watch the FREE Chess Bud Beginners Essential Playbook.