Adult Intermediate Group Course – (Unrated to 1300 Elo)
Whatever level you are at, I’d highly recommend ChessBud. From basic tactics to advanced strategies Mark has a way of explaining and demonstrating concepts that make complex ideas much easier to processJohn, 20s, Italy
ENROL NOW! for the six week summer term commencing Saturday 24th April 2021
Course Time: Saturdays, 11am – 12.30pm
So you’ve mastered the basics. You know the potential of each of your pieces, how they can be used either alone or in concert to create problems for your opponent. Long gone are the days when you might have fallen for scholar’s mate or left your pieces ‘en prise’ providing easy pickings for opponents. You have a basic classical opening repertoire which enables you to get into the game as black or white and you have learned tactical attacking ideas based on your favourite tried and trusted development set-ups. You know how to convert winning positions in the endgame when you have a commanding material advantage and consider mating with a King, rook, two bishops or bishop and knight mere child’s play. So what now?
Returning to chess after many years during the recent restrictions, I have found Marks course (Intermediate level) invaluable – not just in bringing me back up to speed, but in developing my ability to evaluate positions and making me more tuned in to what my opponents plans might be. Mark has a relaxed but very informative style of tuition and I have no hesitation in saying I have found the classes to be an absolute bargain in terms of value-for-money.Chris, Retired, Dublin
The next step in your chess development is to learn how to read a position at a glance — how to identify potential weaknesses in your opponent’s position. You’re opponent has castled, but is their king really safe? Can you build an attack without showing your hand too early? How many times have you opponents neglected developing their pieces and left their king in the centre? Have you the tools to take advantage of your opponent’s cavalier opening play before he or she catches up and reaches a playable position? Learn how to create winning chances by instigating plans that create structural weaknesses in your opponent’s positions. Improve your ability to evaluate attacking opportunities and recognise the potential drawbacks to launching full-scale attacks.
Through studying instructive master games and solving themed puzzles, you will learn the essential differences between open, semi-closed and closed games as well as tricky, offbeat flank openings. This approach will extend your opening knowledge beyond the classical opening set-ups explored in the beginner’s course (1) e4 e5 ; 1) d4 d5) and introduce you not just to a wide range of exciting, dynamic opening set-ups and gambits but also the complex middlegame structures they give rise to.
By the end of this course, you should not just know what openings you are interested in playing, you should also be closer to understanding what kind of player you want to be. Do you believe in pawn power and building a fortress in the centre or are you someone who prefers to cede the centre and chip away at your opponent’s position with judicious pawn breaks or dynamic piece play? Don’t you think you it’s time you found out if you’re a wannabe tactical wizard who thrives in open positions or a budding master strategist who enjoys more subtle positional play? Once you understand your natural playing style you will be able to build on your innate natural strengths while also working out a means of tackling weak areas of your game.
Adult Intermediate Group Course
- This is a six week online course for players rated between 1000 and 1300 Elo or for players who may have recently taken up chess and mastered the fundamentals or returned to the game after a long break. If you recognise yourself in the above description, then this may well be the course for you!
- We meet once a week for 90 minutes.
- Online classes are conducted using Zoom and friendly games and/or tournaments are run on chess.com
- There is a maximum number of 25 participants enrolled in each class.
- Each session will include lessons on specific themes and the analysis of puzzles, master or student games.
- Participants in the course will be invited to compete in the Chess Bud weekly 10-minute blitz on chess.com every Sunday evening formthe duration of the course recommencing Sunday 18th April between 7.30 and 9.00pm where current and former students and a select number of strong Irish players engage in friendly combat.
- Games played in the weekly Sunday blitz are often incorporated into the weekly lessons.
- Students will have access to the Chess Bud Library from the time they enrol for the course, the duration of the course and for five weeks following the conclusion of the course.
Six x 90 minute weekly classes online
€60 per person
Note: If you enrol and find this course is either too easy or too hard, you can move into the adult beginners class on Wednesday evening at 7 – 8.30pm or the adult advanced class on Sundays from 11am – 12.30pm.
Enrol in the Adult Intermediate Group Course using secure PayPal. If you would like to join the course midway email firstname.lastname@example.org and he will invoice you for the correct amount based on the remaining classes.
Sign Up for the Intermediate Class now!
Missed a few classes? No worries!
You can sign-up midway and just pay for the remaining classes.